The UK’s leading resin flooring specialist
A Comprehensive Introduction to Resin Flooring
As a commercial business owner, selecting the right flooring solution for your facility can be challenging. With a multitude of options available, it’s vital to understand the benefits and drawbacks of each flooring type. One option that has gained popularity in recent years is resin flooring.
What is Resin Flooring?
Resin flooring is a high-performance, versatile flooring solution made from a combination of synthetic resins and various aggregates, pigments, and fillers. The mixture is poured onto a prepared surface and spread evenly, forming a seamless, durable, and attractive floor finish once cured.
This type of flooring system is designed to withstand heavy foot traffic, impact, and chemical exposure, making it ideal for commercial, industrial, and even residential applications.
To better understand resin flooring, let’s delve into its key components and how they contribute to the floor’s overall performance:
- Synthetic Resins: Synthetic resins, such as epoxy, polyurethane, or acrylic, act as the primary binder in the flooring system. They provide the floor with its overall strength, durability, and resistance to various elements, such as temperature extremes, abrasion, and chemicals. Each type of resin offers distinct properties, making them suitable for different applications and environments.
- Aggregates and Fillers: These materials are added to the resin mixture to enhance the floor’s physical properties, such as compressive strength, slip resistance, and overall aesthetics. These materials can range from fine sand to larger quartz granules or even decorative flakes, depending on the desired finish and performance requirements.
- Pigments: Pigments can be combined to create an endless array of colours and shades, allowing for a highly customisable design that can match your business’s unique aesthetic.
- Hardener: A hardener is added to the resin flooring system to initiate the curing process. It helps to form a strong bond between the resin and aggregate, resulting in a durable, long-lasting floor finish.
Types of Resin Flooring
- Epoxy Resin Flooring: Epoxy resin flooring is created by combining epoxy resin with a hardener. This type of flooring is known for its durability, chemical resistance, and high-gloss finish. It’s ideal for areas that require a heavy-duty, easy-to-clean surface, such as automotive workshops and commercial kitchens.
- Polyurethane Resin Flooring: Polyurethane resin flooring is formed by mixing polyurethane resin with a hardener. This type of flooring is more flexible than epoxy and is highly resistant to thermal shock, making it suitable for areas exposed to temperature fluctuations, such as cold storage facilities and food processing plants.
- Acrylic Resin Flooring: Acrylic resin flooring, also known as methyl methacrylate (MMA) flooring, is created by combining acrylic resin with a catalyst. This type of flooring is known for its fast-curing properties and can be installed and ready for use in a matter of hours. It is ideal for areas that require minimal downtime, such as retail spaces and hospitals.
Benefits of Resin Flooring
Resin flooring offers a host of benefits that make it a popular choice for a variety of applications, from commercial and industrial settings to residential spaces. Here are some of the main advantages that resin flooring can bring to your facility.
Exceptional Durability and Resistance to Wear and Tear
Resin flooring systems are designed to withstand heavy foot traffic, impact, and abrasion, making them highly durable and long-lasting. The seamless nature of the flooring also eliminates the issue of weak points or joints where damage can occur over time. This makes resin flooring an ideal choice for high-traffic areas where conventional flooring options may wear out or degrade quickly.
Chemical and Stain Resistance
Due to the non-porous nature of resin flooring, it is highly resistant to chemicals, oils, and other liquids that can cause staining or damage to the floor surface. This characteristic is particularly beneficial in environments where the floor may be exposed to spills, such as commercial kitchens, laboratories, or automotive workshops, as it prevents the penetration of harmful substances and simplifies the cleanup process.
Easy to Clean and Maintain
Resin flooring’s seamless and non-porous surface makes it easy to clean and maintain. Dirt, dust, and spills can be quickly wiped or swept away without the need for harsh chemicals or specialised cleaning equipment. Additionally, the absence of joints or grout lines means that there are fewer places for bacteria and mould to accumulate, contributing to a more hygienic environment.
Adding aggregates to the resin mixture can create a slip-resistant surface that enhances safety, especially in areas where spills or moisture may be present. This feature is particularly useful in commercial kitchens, poolside spaces, or manufacturing facilities where slip hazards are a concern.
Versatility in Design and Customisation
One of the most attractive benefits of resin flooring is its design versatility. With a wide range of colours, finishes, and textures available, it can be tailored to suit any aesthetic, from minimalistic and modern to vibrant and eye-catching. In addition, logos, patterns, and even three-dimensional effects can be incorporated into the flooring design, making it a truly customisable solution for any space.
Many resin flooring systems contain low or no volatile organic compounds (VOCs), making them a more environmentally friendly choice than traditional flooring options. Additionally, the long-lasting nature of resin floors reduces the need for frequent replacements, resulting in less waste and a lower overall environmental impact.
Quick Installation and Minimal Downtime
Depending on the type of resin flooring used, the installation and curing process can be relatively quick. For instance, acrylic resin flooring can cure in a matter of hours, minimising downtime and allowing businesses to resume operations as quickly as possible.
Applications of Resin Flooring
Resin flooring’s unique combination of durability, ease of maintenance, and design versatility make it suitable for a wide range of applications across different industries and settings. Here are just a few examples of where resin floors could be used and the advantages they bring:
- Hospitals and Healthcare Facilities: Hygiene is of paramount importance in healthcare settings, and resin flooring’s seamless, non-porous surface makes it an ideal choice for hospitals, clinics, and laboratories. Its easy-to-clean nature helps maintain a sterile environment, while its slip-resistant properties enhance patient and staff safety. Moreover, its customisable design allows for the incorporation of visual cues, such as colour-coded pathways, to improve wayfinding within the facility.
- Educational Institutions: Schools, colleges, and universities require durable, low-maintenance flooring that can withstand heavy foot traffic and daily wear and tear. Resin flooring meets these criteria while also offering design flexibility to create engaging and inspiring learning environments. Its slip-resistant properties also contribute to increased safety in areas like laboratories, workshops, and cafeterias.
- Retail Spaces: In retail settings, aesthetics play a significant role in creating a welcoming and attractive environment for customers. Resin flooring’s design versatility allows retailers to create a unique, branded floor finish that aligns with their overall store concept. Additionally, it’s durability and easy maintenance make it a practical choice for high-traffic areas like aisles, checkout zones, and entryways.
- Manufacturing Facilities: Resin flooring’s durability, chemical resistance, and impact absorption make it an excellent choice for manufacturing facilities where heavy machinery and equipment are used. Its seamless surface reduces the risk of cracks and damage that can occur in traditional flooring options, while its slip resistance contributes to a safer working environment.
- Warehouses and Distribution Centres: In warehouses and distribution centres, the ability to withstand heavy loads and constant traffic from forklifts and pallet jacks is essential. Resin flooring offers the necessary durability and load-bearing capacity, ensuring a long-lasting and low-maintenance flooring solution. Additionally, its customisable design allows for the incorporation of safety markings and demarcations to improve workflow and organisation within the facility.
- Food Processing Plants: Resin flooring is particularly well-suited for food processing plants due to its resistance to chemicals and temperature fluctuations. Its seamless surface makes it easy to clean and maintain, contributing to a more hygienic environment that complies with food safety regulations. Furthermore, its slip-resistant properties can help reduce the risk of accidents in wet or greasy areas.
- Kitchens and Bathrooms: In residential settings, resin flooring can be an excellent option for kitchens and bathrooms, where moisture resistance and easy maintenance are crucial. Its non-porous surface helps prevent water damage and staining, while its slip-resistant properties can enhance safety in these potentially slippery spaces.
- Garages and Workshops: Homeowners seeking a durable and low-maintenance flooring solution for their garages or workshops can benefit from resin flooring’s strength, chemical resistance, and easy-to-clean nature. Its ability to withstand heavy loads and resist oil and grease stains makes it a practical and long-lasting choice for these spaces.
- Living Spaces: While less common, resin flooring can also be used in living spaces, such as living rooms or bedrooms, to create a modern, seamless look. Its design versatility allows for the creation of unique and visually appealing floor finishes, while its durability ensures a long-lasting and low-maintenance solution for busy households.
As a commercial business owner, recognising the myriad advantages of resin flooring is crucial in selecting the optimal flooring solution for your facility. By opting for resin flooring, you can create a safe, visually striking, and easily maintained environment that not only enhances your business’s overall functionality but also elevates its appeal to customers, visitors, and employees alike.
Contact us today to discuss how resin flooring can enhance the look and feel of your facility. Our expert team is on hand to help you create a customised solution that meets all your needs and budget.